Watch the blobs move up and down from your simple creation. Play with different colored water and see what happens!
What you need:
- A clear, small soda bottle
- 3/4 cup of water
- Vegetable oil
- Alka Seltzer tablet (or other fizzy tablet)
- Food coloring
What you do:
- Pour the water into the bottle.
- Add food coloring to the water.
- Fill the remainder of the bottle with vegetable oil.
- Let set for a few moments as the water and vegetable oil separate.
- Add 1/2 of the fizzy tablet into the bottle. Blobs stopped rising? Simply add another 1/2 tablet.
Why it works:
The tablet releases gases causing the water to rise in bubbles through the oil. Shine a flashlight through the mixture to get a real lava lamp effect!
Want more? Experiment and discover…
What happens if you add the food coloring AFTER you have added the oil? Does the oil attract or repel the food color?