Have some good, clean fun making foam “dough”! By mixing glue and shaving cream, you can create a type of “Foam Rubber”. Create any sculpture you can imagine with this foam science activity. Then, let it sit out overnight and it will dry into the shapes you have created.
What you need:
- Glass measuring cup
- 1 can Barbasol shaving cream
- 4 ounce bottle of Elmer’s glue
- Large glass bowl
- Large spoon
What you do:
1. Measure one cup of Barbasol shaving cream into a mixing bowl.
3. Add the bottle of Elmer’s glue into the mixing bowl.
4. With the spoon, whip the glue and shaving cream together.
Now just add imagination! Can you make a mountain? An elephant? An orange? Add food dye to make multi colored sculptures!
Why does it work?
Whipping the shaving cream and the glue together fills the spaces between the glue’s polyvinyl acetate molecules with the air-filled soap lather. The glue then dries filled with millions of tiny cells of air, much like foam rubber.