Take advantage of visiting relatives to build a “Red Head” family trait tree. A “Red Head” family tree traces who has inherited what from whom – like that red hair that keeps popping up in the family or that nose!
Certain characteristics are inherited directly from our parents, and some characteristics are just ours. Dominant inherited traits are easy to spot, either you have the trait or you do not. If you keep track, you can tell who you inherited a dominant trait from and trace the line of the trait through your family.
Make a chart similar using some characteristics below. Be sure to add family characteristics that you think you or your kids have inherited.
Now ask your visiting relatives about the characteristics and see what you come up with!
(Dominant traits in italics)
- Hair type – curly, red, dark, light
- Hand clasping – right over left or left over right
- Nose shape
- Ability to roll tongue in half lengthwise
- Eye color
- Achoo Syndrome – sneezing when exposed to light
- Earlobe attachment – attached completely to head or a bit hangs down
- Hair on second joint of fingers