Milk moving and swirling on its own – you will not believe your own eyes! A few simple items in the kitchen make real science magic.
What you need:
- Whole milk or half and half
- Shallow bowl or plate with a rim
- Food coloring
- Q-Tip or toothpick
- Dish detergent
What you do:
- Pour milk to cover bottom of container.
- Add drops of food coloring on edges of dish.
- Place a drop of dish soap on the end of a Q-Tip.
- Gently touch the Q-Tip in the middle of the milk and hold it there for 10-15 seconds.
- Watch the milk start to swirl!
Experiment and discover…
What happens if you put the food color in the middle?
What if you put the soapy Q-Tip on the edge?
Do different colors travel differently?
Do the colors mix?