Backyard BBQ’s, neighborhood picnics, and family reunions are great for making a racket! This crazy version of tennis without a net is as much fun to make as it is to play. Of course, playing means you have to come up with rules, like the ground is lava and the balloon can never touch it. Or two touch – only two racket tips to get across the yard. Make sure to have enough rackets on hand for everyone!
What you need:
- 2 (or more) wire coat hangers
- Women’s knee-high stockings
- Colored masking or duct tape
What you do:
- Bend the wire coat hangers into a long oval like shape; this can be achieved by stretching the long flat part of the hanger (Safety Alert…be mindful that the hangers could have sharp edges—adults might need to help with this). Twist the curved part of the hanger head into a handle like shape.
- Cover the entire long oval part with a knee-high stocking. The stocking opening should be at the bottom near the handle.
- Gather the stocking and secure with masking/duct tape. This will keep the knee-high in place and keep sharp edges of the hanger head from poking when held.
- Blow up a few balloons (Adults might also need to help with this).
- Use your coat hanger rackets to bat the balloons back and forth without letting then drop to the ground.
What other games can you think of for your rackets? Get creative – Kids can often have as much fun making up the rules as playing the game!