Mold spores are all around us – on countertops, floors, and shoe bottoms. Grow lots of mold varieties with this simple experiment!
Common Sense Warning: Do NOT open bag with moldy bread inside. Do NOT eat moldy bread.
What you need:
- Slices of bread
- Plastic bag with tight seal
What you do:
- Put 5-6 drops of water on a slice of bread.
- Rub the bread on your countertop, a dusty corner or other surface.
- Place the bread into the plastic bag and seal it tight.
- Leave it alone for a couple days in a dark, undisturbed corner.
- Check it out – DO NOT OPEN THE BAG – just look at what is growing!
Want more? Explore and discover…
What did you see when you checked your bread on the second day? Did you grow fuzzy mold? Green mold? Black mold??
What would happen if you left the bag in the sunshine for 2 days? If you added more water? If you rubbed the bread on your foot?