What is it called when you turn a triangle into a three dimensional shape? It’s a tetrahedron! A tetrahedron is a triangle with four faces. Using just a few materials, try and build a tetrahedron that tests the strength of this triangular construction!
What you need:
- Toothpicks (colored ones are fun)
- Mini-marshmallows and/or gumdrops
What you do:
- Firmly push the tips of three toothpicks into three mini-marshmallows to create a basic triangle.
- With two more toothpicks and one mini-marshmallow, attach an adjoining triangle.
- Add one more toothpick to finish your tetrahedron.
Want more? Experiment and discover…
Add more and more triangles to build a bridge or tower. Then, test its strength by seeing if it can hold up a book or two. You’ll be amazed.